Well allotment season is over and it’s time to get toasty warm! Last Saturday i was bored and feeling the creative juices flowing so me and my friend decided to go to the timber merchants to get wood cut for the barn door. The guys are amazing in Savoy Timber. So here is a visual essay on some of the creative process involved in making the barn door!
Here is a custom cut tongue and groove panel, here we are making a small impression to create a chamfered edge, this creates line definition between the vertical door panels. (my hallway thread bear carpet is on the list to be replaced!)
Work in progress! I have ordered a custom made door handle that is being made by a black smith in Poland. Cannot wait! I will upload on a future post when it arrives!
Then a bit of a room rearrange and hey presto! Here we have a little i phone 360 film!
Room when in it’s first week. Mission: Destroy Magnolia! 😃
My lounge is relatively small, I’d say about 14-meter sq, so space is a premium. I’ve designed the space to accommodate change and flexibility – fold tables, a bench that can act as a seat, a desk, a buffet bar (remember those 1980s cocktail sticks?) Anyway I digress. 😀
My design solution is to be able to utilise space on the right side of the door. When the door is open it hides and obstructs that side gobbling up space. Even my chigi dog Marley agrees…
I want to make the door and wall more of a feature, give it character yet free up space and also have a door. My plan is to have a sliding door; this means we can stay warm, have a bit of an enclosure and utilise space.
I started the project by taking the door off carefully and storing it in my very accommodating attic space. It’s very easy to take on and off without any damage. I then researched online for inspiration and ideas, searching how to guides on youtube.
The slide door hardware I looked at was about £150 so I shopped around and managed to get a black steel set with a bit more drama, bigger wheels and spoke detailing for a more mechanical and industrial look. The runner wheels I finally purchased were just shy of £40. To make the project fun and affordable I have completed it partially in small manageable chunks to avoid an initial outlay. I ran a wire over the door to bring electricity to the side where my back light is avoiding electrician costs.
I looked online at doors and they seemed quite expensive and difficult to get a size that fits, costing between £80 and £100. I did some sketches, priced some wood and fixtures up and have decided I am going to make a barn door. Here is my initial sketch.
At this cheaper price of around £37 and a bit if elbow grease I hope to have my new door within the next two weeks so watch this space!
Thanks for reading I will post more as I progress 😀